• 1 ½ cups basmati rice, uncooked
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• ¾ teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons hot water
In a small bowl combine hot water and saffron to allow flavor to escape the threads.
In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until golden. Add chicken stock, saffron, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Add basmati rice, cover, and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered for 3-5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.